A typical homeowners insurance policy does not cover damage due to flooding.  The damage inflicted to homeowners caused by Tropical Storm Irene in 2011 caused many property owners to reevaluate their need for flood insurance.  Many property owners were unprepared for the devastation caused by rising waters, blocked storm drains, and storm surges.

Don’t be left unprotected, the agents at the Isham InsuranceAgency, Inc are pleased to work with you to review your property and evaluate a flood insurance policy that provides the additional protection from flooding that is not included in your homeowners policy.

Standard Flood Insurance Policies

If you live in a community that participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), your building and its contents can be covered by a standard flood insurance policy.  NFIP was established by the Federal Government to help communities who “voluntarily participate in the NFIP by adopting and enforcing floodplain management ordinances to reduce future flood damage.”  To be considered a flood, the waters must cover at least two acres or affect at least two properties.  You must apply for building coverage and contents coverage separately if you choose to invest in a standard flood insurance policy.

Preferred Risk Flood Insurance Policies

If your home or business is in a low or moderate risk zone, your building may qualify for a low-cost preferred risk policy.  While you aren’t required to purchase flood insurance in low-to-moderate risk areas, a preferred risk policy will protect your home and its contents if you are affected by a small flood or a larger flood that has extended into your low-risk area.  In truth, many flood insurance claims occur in low-to-moderate risk areas.

Protect your investment! Contact The Isham Insurance Agency Inc. to help find you the best coverage and price on Flood Insurance